flag

flag

Friday, July 31, 2015

Mom's Letter to Jaden July 19 2015

My Dear Elder Condie,

I hope your week has been as wonderful as ours. EFY was amazing as always.  The Spirit is so strong there.  We had many opportunities to follow promptings.  The first day we were there, we received word that one of the participants had some mental illness that could lead to her being sent home if she gave in to her urges.  We had a good talk with her.  She said she felt like every time she was in a setting where the Spirit is strong she feels Satan doing all he can to inhibit her from feeling it by triggering her depression and addiction.  She asked for a blessing, which we arranged and she proved to be one of the most enthusiastic and involved participants throughout the rest of the week.   

Thursday, I was asked to talk to a girl who was "freaking out" with her depression.  I was a little apprehensive as I approached her, but again, after a quick prayer, the Spirit directed me in how to help her.  I knew the things I should say to calm and comfort her.  She cried, "I don't understand what's wrong.  I've been taking my medication every day and I have felt so depressed here at EFY.  I want to learn and feel the Spirit!"  I remembered how the other girl with depression described feeling that Satan was striving to use her illness to drive away the Spirit. I asked her if she was feeling that way and she said yes.  Then I felt I should ask her if she desired a blessing to which she quickly responded with a yes.  We called her dad for permission like we did with the other girl and after her blessing, she went right into the game show even though I told her I would sit out in the foyer with her if she preferred.  The next day, she happily found me and asked if we would come and eat lunch with her and her friends, which we did. She was so happy and social.  She told me she was feeling so much better and only wished it weren't so late in the week.  She came to me several times throughout the day and we talked and hugged.  She was happy the rest of EFY! 

There were so many miracles, but I will just tell you of one more.  On Friday night, Dad and I joined a company as they shared things they had learned and felt at EFY. One boy, who was strong and athletic looking sat next to me.  He raised his hand and shared how before EFY, he had no plans to serve a mission because he had a dream of playing college baseball. But because of what he had learned and felt at EFY, he had made a decision to go and if he could still play baseball after his mission, he would, but if not, that would be OK.  After he said that, I could hardly focus on what the other participants were sharing.  All I could think about was that I needed to talk to him and help him feel supported in this inspired decision.  I prayed to know what exactly I needed to say to him.  It was finally made clear to me what I needed to tell him.  I didn't get the opportunity until it was time for his company to go in for the night.  I pulled him aside, and as I spoke to him, he looked closely into my eyes as if he were hungry for whatever I had to say.  I talked to him about baseball and how I'm sure it was very important to him.  He said, "I've been playing since I was 3 years old." I told him how much I admired him for making such a tough decision and that it must have been very hard for him. He said he is the only member in his whole school.  I then said, "I feel like I need to tell you that this decision you have made to serve a mission is going to affect more than just you.  It could be your team mates, it could be your own children."  He nodded his head.  We talked a little more and then I gave him a hug.  I hope it helped him feel solidified in his resolve to serve.

I am so proud of you for your decision to serve and for the guidance you gave our boys at EFY through your video.  

I am learning how to rely on the Spirit for teaching as I'm sure you are.  When we teach with the sole purpose of delivering whatever message the Lord has for those particular individuals, he blesses us with the right words to say.  It's an exciting thing to be able to put your trust in.  I spoke in the YSA ward today, and for the first time, I stood their without any talk in front of me.  The words all came with clarity and order just as I had prayed.  It's proof to me that He loves his children and wants them to receive the gospel message.

I love you SO MUCH!

Have a wonderful week!

Mom

P.S. We went to SLC tonight to visit my friend Kassi Anderson and her son who is going to the MTC on Wed. (Twin Falls, ID mission).  By-the-way, Jenafer was seriously attacked by a dog.  She has been in a wheelchair for her recovery.  Kassi showed me pictures and she and puncture wounds and muscle tears over a good portion of her body.


John Bytheway was one of our teachers.  We enjoyed getting acquainted with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment